Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Moving to Mississippi

I'm moving to Mississippi on Wednesday!! Everything is happening incredibly fast but I am so excited! As many of you know I have developed a passion and love for Mississippi and the hurricane relief work there. I've been looking into programs through Americorps and a few other organizations to move down there for a year or so.

I applied for a year-long program through the Presbyterian Church that is working with the Presbyterian Disaster Assistance (PDA). I sent in my full application on August 22nd. I got an email on Monday the 27th saying that they received my application. On Wednesday, the 29th, I got a call from the national office and had a phone interview. On Friday I got a call from the guy who is in charge of the operations in the Gulf Coast. Then Saturday night I had an official phone interview with the same guy in Mississippi and he pretty much told me that I have a position with them if I want it, but orientation starts on September 5th and I need to get there by then! Crazy stuff! But this is exactly what I've been praying for and looking for!!! So I'm going. I'm uprooting and doing it. I know that this is so fast, but at the same time I've been wanting to go back down to the the Gulf Coast ever since I returned about a year ago, so this decision is definitely well thought out and prayed about.

My position will be coordinating the volunteer groups that come down for a week or two at a time. I'll be learning how to do all the construction stuff down there and then I'll be teaching others how to do the same. I don't know very many details yet but I'll fill you in as I go. I'm so excited and all I can say is God is so faithful!

I'm going to New Orleans for orientation this week, but I'll be in Seattle in the beginning of October to get my car and any other stuff. So hopefully I'll have a chance to see people when I come back later this month or in the next day or so. If I don't see you that does not mean that I don't care, it just means things are moving way too quickly.

God Bless!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.