Thursday, September 6, 2007

I'm in New Orleans!

I arrived in New Orleans last night and will be going through orientation and training here for the next couple weeks before I move to my year-long site in Gulfport. I'm part of a group of 8 Young Adult Volunteers who will be serving all around the coast of Louisiana and Mississippi. We are all living together in a tiny little house for the next few weeks. But they are an awesome group of people and thanks to the North House I'm used to living in tight quarters. During the training I'll be learning a wide variety of construction skills and we are even going to a National Orientation camp in New Mexico for a few days which should be awesome.

There is still so much work to be done here even though it has been 2 years since hurricane Katrina struck. Especially here in New Orleans there are so many houses that are still empty and need rebuilding. I have to admit it's so great to be back here. I've missed it so much and even though the process of me getting accepted to the program and moving went incredibly quickly I know that I am exactly where I should be.

I'll try to get some pictures up here soon for your viewing enjoyment.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Kaitlyn! I'm so excited for you! What an answer to prayer. I wish you all the best. Let us know when you're back in Seattle. Much love. ~Natalie

Anonymous said...

My mom told me you had made the leap, and then I received an e-mail from your mom with all the details and the link to your blog. I'm so excited that we chatted about the Young Adult Volunteer Program and that you looked into it. God bless your work there. I want to stay updated on your blog. I have a blog too at www.durrfamilyblogspot.blogspot.com. Talk to you later. Love, Jodi