Sunday, September 9, 2007

We've had a pretty full week here in New Orleans getting to know the people we're going to be working with and seeing some of the sights around town. Yesterday we went to Cafe Du Monde for beignets (deep fried doughnuts with a ridiculous amount of powdered sugar) and coffee. We have spent some time hanging out in the French Quarter and went out to dinner at the Gumbo Shop for some authentic New Orleans food.

The 8 of us volunteers are living together in what's called a "shotgun". I have to admit that I hadn't heard the term before, but shotgun houses consist of three to five rooms in a row with no hallways. To get from room to room you have to walk through everyone else's bedrooms, so it's a bit tight around here but we all get along well. Our next door neighbor, Dorthy, is the best neighbor we could ask for. She is incredibly nice and we have all really enjoyed getting to know her and have welcoming her over to hang out with us. When we first met her she was very straight forward with us telling us that she's pagan but despite any differences we have getting to know her has been a highlight for me so far.

We went to a black Presbyterian Church this morning which to me sounds like an oxymoron, but it was great. The people were all very warm, welcoming, and excited to meet us. It's a very small church that's trying to rebuild its membership. But when I get to Mississippi for the year I might just have to find myself a gospel choir to join at one of the churches there and so I can be the token white girl.


This is the group of Young Adult Volunteers I'm living with, they're pretty cool. However, Jessie and Caitlin aren't pictured but I'll post more pictures soon.


I just had to post this... This picture was taken on Bourbon Street in the French Quarter. It boggles my mind that you can walk around the streets of New Orleans with a beer in your hand as your pass by cops. But don't worry, I'm not getting into anything crazy, I just thought this sign was hilarious.

2 comments:

Stacie296 said...

Kaitlyn -

I just got update on your new adventure. How exciting the way God works, huh??? This picture made me crack up. You need to send it to my dad. He'd get a good laugh. Anyway, enjoy your time and give the Lord all ya got!! We love you. The Andersons PS - You can keep updated on us on our blog too.

Stacie296 said...

Oh - and that address is www.emmaandelena.blogspot.com