Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I've had several people comment to me lately that I must have some pretty amazing stories from working down here in Mississippi. I'm realizing that is very true and that I have an obligation to tell the stories of the people I interact with on a daily basis. Those people who are still living in FEMA trailers or MEMA cottages, who are doing everything in their power to rebuild their home so they have a real home again.

Today was a great day! It was a glimmer of hope in the countless difficult stories I hear every day. I have been working with a family in Pearlington, Mississippi to get them grant funding for the rest of the building materials they need in order to finish their house. For confidentiality reasons, I will call them the Smiths. Mrs. Smith had a heart attack last October and has been spending about 3 days a week in the hospital. They are so close to being back in their home, but they are struggling to pay all their doctor bills let alone afford building materials. Today they got approved for a Red Cross grant and it's going to the final approval stages of funding tomorrow! Mr. Smith was so happy that he said he might just have to dance at my wedding someday. It made me smile.

I'm really enjoying my job as a case manager now. It's tough. I hear a lot of hard stories and have to make a lot of tough decisions, but overall it is very rewarding to be helping these people.

The summer weather in Mississippi is just about upon us. It has really warmed up lately and the highs are about 80 degrees most days. I am not looking forward to the hot, humid Mississippi weather. But I've done it before and I'm sure I'll be just fine.

No comments: