Monday, February 2, 2009

Ice, Church, and Beer :)



I've come to learn that Texas winters are awfully strange. It may be 35 degrees one day and about 2 days later it can get back up to 70 degrees again. Last week I experienced my first real ice storm. Basically what happened is we had freezing rain and the temperatures kept dropping so by the time morning came around absolutely everything had a thin layer of ice covering it. The parking lot in my apartment complex looked a little like a skating rink and I had to pour water over the seams of my car door and the lock because everything was iced shut. But by noon the sun was shining and the ice was melting. And this weekend it got up to almost 80 degrees!

My job is going well and Dan and I found a church we both like. It's huge but it seems like they have a lot of good programs and opportunites to be a part of smaller groups. The church even has a 2 story play place in it (think MacDonalds with ball pins and tubes to climb through) and an electronic check in service for parents dropping off their kids for Sunday school. You get a receipt for your kid...does that mean you can exchange it too? :) But all of that aside it seems like a really good church, it's just big so it has to be organized.

I also found my favorite bar in the area. It's called the Flying Saucer. It has about 200 beers on tap from all around the world so basically you can go there and try something new every time. Definitely worth checking out if you ever come to Dallas.

1 comment:

catherine said...

mmmm 200 beers - that does sound like a good bar :) sounds like you're doing well!!